- Pour 1-part denatured alcohol (or rubbing alcohol) and 1-part water into a spray bottle or bowl. Wipe surface down with mixture.
- Lightly scuff up any glossy surfaces to give them tooth.
- One coat is all you need. Even if the original finish still shows through, one thin coat is all you will need.
- Make final strokes long in the direction you want the grain
- Clean your brush while you give the project 2 hours to dry completely. If you are limited on time, then use a blow dryer (Dry time may take as little as 15 minutes with the use of a blow dryer on high heat)
If you want a smooth finish you can skip this step. Your brush strokes will make a subtle grain.
- Apply a thin coat of Wood'n Stain in plank size sections
- Pull the graining tool through each section while coat is still wet
- If you don't like the grain, apply another coat of Wood'n Stain over that section and grain it again
- Each coat of Wood'n Stain will give you a deeper finish
- Two coats is the most popolar finish
If you ordered a kit that does not include the topcoat then you must make sure the topcoat you use is appropriate for the project, ie interior, exterior, high traffic, etc.
- Apply thin layers of your topcoat until you finish the entire container
- Allow two hours between coats if you are using a Retique It waterbased topcoat
- Follow directions for dry time on any other brand of topcoat
- Retique It will only support the use of our brand of topcoats